Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Cyber-Bullying Must Stop.

I have been subject to cyber-bullying and I believe it is an epidemic that needs to be stopped. Too many children, teens and even adults are succumbing to cyber-bullying. Everyday, you see a news headline that states that another person has taken their life due to cyber-bullying/bullying. In middle school, I remember being bullied when one of my "best friends" had hacked into my Facebook and posted ugly things about me and made fun of me. It ruined my self confidence for years. I was finally able to forgive them, but I kept my distance and moved on. Unfortunately, it's not this easy for some. Sometimes there may be problems at home or the person getting bullied is going through something that we have no idea about and the verbal/mental abuse from bullying is only making matters worse. I urge everyone who is feeling depressed or lonely, to seek help. To find solace in someone that you can trust. I am 18 years old, about to be 19. A few months ago, a classmate of mine (high-school) had taken his life. I have known him since kindergarten and I remember people making fun of him and bullying him. I was young and I didn't understand the damage that was being done to him. I would always ask him how his day was and I would try to be the light in his dark days, even if it was just flashing him a smile. My father, is a police officer for Waterloo and he was there the night that my classmate took his life. They tried for over 30 minutes to resuscitate him, but to no avail. He had passed away leaving behind a younger brother. My heart breaks for his family, and it breaks for the people who were unable to recognize the signs. If any of my classmates are reading this and need someone to talk to or vent to, please, don't look any further. I understand how it feels, and I understand how lonely it can be. I am always here to talk. You are NOT alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment